Oryginalna strona colobot.cba.pl umarła, gdy cba.pl przestało oferować darmowy hosting. To jest statyczny mirror, pobrany w 2018. ~krzys_h
 Polski Portal COLOBOTa - COLOBOT Polish Portal
Forum - Polski Portal COLOBOTa
Strona głównaStrona główna UżytkownicyUżytkownicy GrupyGrupy StatystykiStatystyki

Poprzedni temat «» Następny temat
A few changes
Autor Wiadomość
PoxiPol 
Chicken

Wysłany: 05-03-2012, 13:43   A few changes

I have realised a few problems that our website has. Firstly, I believe we need some kind of donations system. We need a proper website, which we would be able to put higher up in Google. Secondly, we need to work on the look of the site. At the moment and time, it does not reflect the Colobot atmosphere very well, and is also rather confusing to use. Furthermore, since we have the Colobot source code, we ned to be more international. I suggest that the main site would be also avaible in both polish and english, with english being the main language on the forums, which would allow our french and german etc. friends to join in more, as english is a more well known language around the world. The should be seperate forums in different languages, just like english is on this one, but with english being the main one, is what I mean.
I'm goint to try and avoid making this post a wall of text. I am not an expert in forum management, but what I'm saying is mostly common sense, I would love to see the project turn into a large scale community project, especially with the UK introducing an exchange of ICT into Computing, which will finally teach kids the basics of Programming.
Thanks a lot : )

adiblol 
Administrator forum
FLOSS FTW!

Twoja ulubiona misja: porównywanie formatów audio
Wysłany: 05-03-2012, 14:39   

We need forum software migration to phpbb3. This is chance for making forum multilingual.

Mrocza 

Twoja ulubiona misja: Swobodna na Ziemi
Wysłany: 05-03-2012, 16:30   

Yes! We need some changes!
When can we expect that migration?
Is it possible to use your server?

adiblol 
Administrator forum
FLOSS FTW!

Twoja ulubiona misja: porównywanie formatów audio
Wysłany: 05-03-2012, 16:32   

Mrocza napisał/a:
Is it possible to use your server?
Yes it is, but we have to contact site admin to get database dump.

Schocker 
Wants cookies!

Twoja ulubiona misja: Hmm... All.
Wysłany: 05-03-2012, 16:46   

PoxiPol napisał/a:
Firstly, I believe we need some kind of donations system.

Even though it is, indeed, needed, I don't consider it a priority. We do not need to pay for the hosting service or anything (maybe yet).

PoxiPol napisał/a:
We need a proper website, which we would be able to put higher up in Google.

Quite feasible in my opinion. We have a few web developers here ( ;) ) and coding a new website shouldn't be a problem. The SEO would mean advertising though, so I suggest we wait with it until we make significant progress.

PoxiPol napisał/a:
Secondly, we need to work on the look of the site. At the moment and time, it does not reflect the Colobot atmosphere very well, and is also rather confusing to use.

I totally agree with what Adiblol said - phpBB by Przemo is old, insecure, not updated since last year and it just sucks. phpBB 3 is very effective when it comes to resource handling, although the administrative panel is kinda confusing for me. Oh, and the modifications system seems like a lame joke to me - editing files by hand is so 2003. :P I would recommend MyBB, but I know it tends to be more resource-intensive, but I consider its ACP and plugins system way less complicated.
I still like phpBB 3 though! ^^

PoxiPol napisał/a:
I suggest that the main site would be also avaible in both polish and english, with english being the main language on the forums, which would allow our french and german etc. friends to join in more, as english is a more well known language around the world.

Even though I am for the internationalization of the forums, I have doubts about the English being the main language on them. Having taken all the pros of it, our community is still Polish and, let's face it, not everyone knows English well enough for that person to communicate with a native English speaker. Given that fact, I think it would be better to simply separate the English and Polish forums, but leave Polish as the main ones, at least for the time being.

PoxiPol napisał/a:
I would love to see the project turn into a large scale community project

You are not alone in this. ;)

PoxiPol napisał/a:
especially with the UK introducing an exchange of ICT into Computing, which will finally teach kids the basics of Programming.

And that's a great opportunity for us!I've already read about it a few months ago, but didn't consider COLOBOT as we didn't have the source of it back then. If COLOBOT 2 could be introduced in British schools (hey, Minecraft is being shown to US students for a few months already and is doing really well) it would be one of the most amazing things to happen to such a game!

I really like Your involvement, maybe we could chat on Jabber or GG sometime. ^^

Emxx52 
W istocie

Twoja ulubiona misja: Tropica
Wysłany: 05-03-2012, 17:22   

Cytat:
donations system

Good idea
Cytat:
look of the site

I think we can change the 'Colobot' logo to this: http://www.colobot.cba.pl...colobot_841.png ...
Hmm... I think we can give him an 'Ambassador' rank :P
Cytat:
Oczekuje na akceptację

Yyy...

PoxiPol 
Chicken

Wysłany: 05-03-2012, 20:14   

Guys, my GG is 10097466, write to me whenever you want, I'm online most of the time, but please take into consideration that I might be busy with my A-level homework, or playing Team Fortress 2 : P

A thing that is stuck on my mind is, on what grounds did we get the source code : /? On what licence do we have them? On what licence are we allowed to distribute the product? The legal stuff is something we need to get out of the way first of all.
I also have skype, but I would rather give you that through GG : P
See you there : )

Also, to the web developers out there, here is a website I have spent quite a lot of my user time on. Helped a little with translations etc, but I absolutely love the way it functions. Sure the look is a little outdated, but fits the true 'we are all programmers here, and also we are all guys' look : D
gmclan.org
It's Polish, but its the way it looks that matters. I think that for our site, we could go into a slightly grayish and white theme, with a lot of rounded corners and gradients for the forums, and a more visual, with kind of Colobot machinery, and a few pretty pictures on the main. Nothing overboard though, obviously, we want to keep the website a managable, quick to load site : ) Unfortunately, my HTML+CSS knowledge is minimal, and I never tried any other kind of website programming, but with the new CSS3, and HTML5, I believe we would be able to show off a little, hahaha : )

lukas_j 
Geek
127.0.0.1<-hack

Twoja ulubiona misja: nie wiem, lubie wiekszosc :)
Wysłany: 17-03-2012, 23:08   

PoxiPol, GG is polish program, peple from other countries using other programs and protocols - for example - XMPP/Jabber! :)

You should register a jabber account (if you don't have) and write it in this topic ;)

PoxiPol 
Chicken

Wysłany: 18-03-2012, 18:20   

But at the moment, we are all polish here. Only Michael is english, and I have personal contacts with him, so I know GG is enough.
Brits and Mericans mostly use MSN or skype. Nobody on their right mind uses Jabber anymore.